Welcome to Polly's Blog

Welcome to Polly's Blog
Watercolour, humour, this and that

Monday 19 August 2013

DANIEL SMITH PYRROL SCARLET

Boy have I had fun, with a little help from my virtual friends.  I got this new colour and on facebook I just mentioned that I had pyrrol scarlet and wondered what to paint.  Yes, you guessed it out of the blue got some great suggestions, and I managed to do every one.  I will post them in two batches for your perusal!  I found it very inspiring to have these suggestions and I painted subjects that I would never have thought of myself. Hope you enjoy sharing them with me ........

Red and more red and more red -  Batch 1

 This was my idea. To paint a red banana just because ............

 This is also was my idea and was found on Painting Colourful Birds for Fun on facebook
 Someone dared me to do knickers! Yes I dared.  Thanks Beverley Wells
 A Red Letter Day, thanks Ngaire Magalotti.  You will find out what the invitation was later.
Red London Bus, thank you Val Downie

I will put links to the above artists who have blogs on my last 'red' post to thank them for their help.

It's very much like Cad Red as you can see and is semi opaque.  I tried neat paint, running other colours into the paint, two or 3 thin washes.  Really trying to experiment with it's qualities.  And how often to we get to paint in red?  More to follow..................

21 comments:

  1. What fun!!! These are great...lots of different subjects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan. I even finding the pics to paint!

      Delete
  2. so great that you "take direction" so well....were you a commercial artist at any time? I notice that they can easily run with ideas like this--! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Celeste thank you, never been a commercial artist, just been a happy hobby artist, who gets bored easily so likes to try different things.

      Delete
  3. p.s. I hope you take it as a compliment. I was in commercial art/graphics for many years and I believe it to be a good thing! :) the knickers were my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand where you are coming from and accept gratefully your lovely compliment. oh and I had fun looking for some knickers to paint too.

      Delete
  4. Aaaah Polly

    You should have painted red shoes .... do you have that expression 'ooop North' .....

    Red Shoes, No Kni***rs???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red shoe coming up in the next batch. And it isn't one of mine! Aye we have that expression 'ooop north' as you so rightly say. And sorry, more knickers too

      Delete
  5. Hello Polly, Well, what a great idea--or two great ideas really: getting ideas through FB and concentrating on one color. And such a strong color too!
    (PS I love Painting Colorful Birds for Fun: I joined the group, but haven't painted a bird for it yet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PMP is quite a comprehensive group, and I need to spend some time looking at it. It wasn't my idea either, people just kept giving me ideas, great fun

      Delete
  6. Dear Polly,so nice to see your explorations of red!
    How many red things and there are many ways to get ... a bright red!
    All these watercolors are beautiful and fun! The red is a color that cheers and gives energy, as read from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a happy colour. I looked forward to each one I painted. I Thought about the subjects when I woke in the morning. I do love a challenge. More paintings to come, hope you like those too.

      Delete
  7. A great idea that has worked well for yoy Polly. I just received yesterday 4 sample tubes - a giveaway from Winsor and Newton and in it is new red to me "Bright Red". I look forward to seeing how it shapes up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, W & N have probably set up in oposition to Daniel Smith, as they are the paints everyone is talking about. Have fun with it, I am sure you will.

      Delete
  8. They are all lovely in red and very nicely painted! Love reading about your explorations, Polly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. You will be bored with red when I have finished!!!

      Delete
  9. woww... der Vogel, die Slips auf der Leine *lach* alles ganz toll...
    da schau ich doch öfter vorbei!
    GLG Pee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the red paintings and thank you for reading my blog!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for finding my blog and I am happy that you liked red knickers.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing, allways nice to read and look! The last post was also great! Hope you have a lovely sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catharine for visiting me. The red cheered me up and was great fun. Have a good positive week!

      Delete